Fifth Sin website gets a long overdue update!

Whats going on in the world of Fifth Sin today?
AshTrai
Co-Guild Master
Class: Mage

Fifth Sin website gets a long overdue update!

Postby AshTrai » 09 May 2013, 11:27

The Fifth Sin website has had a few profound updates recently, although u may not initially notice them since i retro-fitted them in to the original website design.

Now, I've had people whinging at me for literally years to implement 2 things on the main pages of our website:

The first was some sort of way for other people to report news because currently I have to manually write the updates in HTML and then upload it via FTP to our webhost for it to be updated. Since i'm an incredibly lazy bastard, i have a tendancy not to bother sometimes and then I get shouted at :lol:. The most obvious solution to this was to export data from our news forum on to the main page of the website. This was hampered some what because we were using a severely out of date (and broken!) phpbb2 forum. Since i updated it the other month to phpbb3, it's been running great and I've found scripts to interact with it's data in the database.

The second was to be able to have a recruitment status on the website that was editable by all officers too. Now, when Jonner first made this site design, it did originally have a recruitment status bit on it but it had to be manually updated by coding it in html and then uploading it via FTP to our webhost, which was a massive pain in the ass every time something changed (which can be quite often). Because of this, it quickly became obsolete and badly out of date giving bad information to potential new applicants so i removed it a long time ago. Since i managed to figure out the news forum export, it seemed sensible to apply the same script to export the recruitment status as well... so i did

Oh also, i fixed the weird looking DKP link on the website (it looked lopsided because it used to say DKPt10 etc) and i noticed i hadn't changed the image. Found out i fixed the image 2 years ago but never uploaded the new images, lol.

Go check it out - http://www.fifth-sin.com

If there are any errors or broken links etc, then let me know! Thanks.
AshTrai ~ 灰皿 ~ Co-GM
"It's my duty. My duty as a complete and utter bastard!" - Arnold Rimmer
"My advice overall is to play that you enjoy and not swap constantly based on what some website says." - Ghostcrawler
Tharkun wrote:Where ever there is a thread that needs to be derailed, we will be there.
Where ever there is someone that needs taking down a peg or two, we will be there.
Where ever there is someone in need, we won't be there as we will be somewhere else taking the piss out of filthy lessers.

Soridor
Dragon
Class: Druid

Re: Fifth Sin website gets a long overdue update!

Postby Soridor » 09 May 2013, 11:46

Well done!

Also, any reason Guardian and prot paladins are medium while prot warriors are low? ;p

AshTrai
Co-Guild Master
Class: Mage

Re: Fifth Sin website gets a long overdue update!

Postby AshTrai » 09 May 2013, 11:53

Good spot. Checked the old forum post i took info from and it should indeed be medium.
Corrected.

As an aside: I will remind all officers to go over the recruitment status of their classes tonight
AshTrai ~ 灰皿 ~ Co-GM
"It's my duty. My duty as a complete and utter bastard!" - Arnold Rimmer
"My advice overall is to play that you enjoy and not swap constantly based on what some website says." - Ghostcrawler
Tharkun wrote:Where ever there is a thread that needs to be derailed, we will be there.
Where ever there is someone that needs taking down a peg or two, we will be there.
Where ever there is someone in need, we won't be there as we will be somewhere else taking the piss out of filthy lessers.

Return to “News and Progress”